Saturday, May 22, 2010

Next Up...Cohasset


I can say that I was pleased with the way the JCC Tri ended up last week. What caught me off guard was that I was asked to race the Cohasset Tri as an elite/pro. This is a sprint tri that has over 900 racers and the e/p field has the likes of Jarrod Shoemaker, US Olympian and 10 time Olympic medalist Gary Hall Jr. At first I had some reservation because these guys are in a different level of speed. After tossing it around for about 5 minutes I said sure! why not, right? I never imagined when I started this sport that I would enjoy it as much as I do or have some success while doing it. I guess that everything form here on out is gravy.

For the next few weeks I will be working getting some speed in the water and the run. After looking at the results of previous Cohasset races, I feel like with a good day I could have some fun and push my limits. There are going to be some superior athletes there and to be able to stand on the line with them is pretty damn cool. One of the best things that I have learned recently is how to sustain my race pace and handle the pain it may cause. I have been liking the sprint distance because it is over quickly, all relative to distance of the race.

So as the season kicks off I will be focusing speed along working on my transitions. The faster I can get from one discipline to another the better the overall time is. For the bike I am going to go long 2 days with another 2 focusing on interval and power training. I am going to try and take a page from Dean Phillips and build up endurance on the bike so I can sprint the run. The 5 days I will be spending in VA beach with the family will be a good opportunity to get some hard running in and solid swimming in a pool of meters, not yards and some open water swimming. The Ocean temp is in the mid 70's.

I am already looking forward to the next race!

1 comment:

Vince SJP CrossFit said...

Great for you!! The road to becoming a PRO begins...