Tuesday, May 22, 2012

JCC Race Report

So, My first tri of the season went well.  I was feeling pretty good going into the race and felt that I had a good opportunity to put up some good numbers.  The day went off without a hitch.  Up at 05 and systems were a go.  Bike was ready and had my bag packed for the tough commute of 1.5 miles to Marblehead. 

The set up was basic and standard.  I was seeded 8th in the start for the swim.  I had out in a time 3:15.  I had not done much training but felt that I was comfortable enough to hold my pace time.  I went off and felt good in the H2O.  There was a 15 sec delay between swimmers and there were a lot of younger athletes in the top 5 who swam for the local clubs.  After 50 yards I caught the guy in front of me and he slowed me up til the end of the 3rd length.  I then had good clear H2o b/c the next racer was 50 yards ahead of me.  I wound up catching her at the last 50 and we got out together.  I exited the water at 3:19.  I think that if I was seeded 7 I may have been able to get out of the water with about 5 or 6 extra seconds. 

T1 was quick and different this year.  The bike mount was about 50 yards down the hill and added a bit more running space to mount before taking off. I was able to get up to speed quickly and went off with out a hitch.  I was holding around 260 watts and didn't feel like I was pushing to hard.  I passed the early leaders before the neck and and was able to get through the first lap rather well. Laps 2 and 3 were a bit more congested but still maintained good speed and entered T2 in around 25 mins.

T2 was longer as well,  this was tough. I dismounted and started my run up the hill to turn around and back out.  Shoes on and off I went.  I didn't have the run legs I thought I would have had?  My thighs were tight and was trying to get my cadence to turn over.  This is a tough and deceptive run because of false hills. Mile 1 was about a 6:20 which is rather slow for me.  I have held 6 flats before on the course but oh well.  Mile 2 was a bit better at 6:05 and 3 was then a 6:20 again because of the nasty hill on Seaview Ave.  At the turn on Seaview the relay runner for Team Karhu went flying by me.  I did my best to hang with him but he was just way to fast.  He ran an 18:10 for 3.5  (Not on my best day!)  I was eyeing  my watch and looking to get as close to 52:15 as possible.  I crossed at 53:12 instead.  I was thrilled to take the top spot and retain my title for the 4th year.  The competition is getting tough. Kristen Lamb OA female came in at 55:44.  It was a great day, Mother's Day too! 

I have some work to do on my running off the bike and I would like to build my power and speed on the bike to.  We are moving on 06/01so I will be busy but want to focus on some speed workouts and long bikes to get ready for the MS ride on 06/24  till then!

No comments: