Sunday, July 6, 2008

Taper Time

Today was my last big ride. I am really ready for this day to come. One way or another I will get there. This was a tough weekend to do this training gig. This was the schedule, fire works Thursday night, easy brick friday, long run sat, family reunion, block party, Sun Long ride, then recovery at the beach.

The run was good. The fastest I ever covered 22 miles. I did it in 2:50:08. I was getting tired towards the end. My knees were a little tight and man was it muggy! I think I sweat out a good 5 lbs. The ride was a different story. Tough getting up. I was tired. Got out on the road and met up with Marty and Vin. We went out at a good easy pace. 18 mph for a good 2 hour ride. We stopped somewhere in Georgetown to get this muffin that Vin was talking about, It was good and I enjoyed it until we got to Salem. That mixed with Gatorade... I threw it up everywhere. The good thing was that I had a clean stomach and only 1:10 to go. They guys went there way and I was able to ride on to finish up for the day. The way they were riding, they could do the Ironman too.

Well, It is time for me to let my body recover. I have been going since October. Back then I started talking with local pro Janda Ricci-Munn. I really wanted to work with but I had to prioritize my finances. He gave me some really good tips and laid out my base training. It was alot of running back then. Something I was not used to. It was in Late December when I took a fall on the ice while running on the Charles River. At the time I thought nothing of it. But as the week went on my hip really started to bother me. I got nervous and worried if I did some major damage. After seeking out some advice and help from local athletes I was able to pinpoint that I bruised my pirioformis. After a lot of swimming and stretching, Vin Miserandino helped evaluate my muscle balance and training regimen. He introduced Cross Fit to me and I slowly started to put the injury behind me. Come spring time I was down about 10 pounds and was getting more fit than ever.

Through this time I vented more than I should have to my wife Lynn. I learned that this "race" is something that can make a person go crazy. She helped teach me that is going to be an event that should be enjoyed to the fullest. Instead of being so worried about injuries and time I should just appreciate the fact that my body will be able to carry me through this. The training will take care of itself. Yes, I know I have to put in the long days and deal with stiff knees and sore backs but I am supposed b/c this is Ironman DAMN IT! There is a reason why it is so hard and don't take anything for granted! thanks again!

Now Taper Time, lets see how well I stick to this!

No comments: