Monday, July 6, 2009

New Tires for my feet; NEWTON DISTANCE


Well, I did it again. I switched to a new pair of shoes again. I know that I said i was going to stick with ZOOT but after my half ironman I noticed significant breakdown on a shoe that only had 22 miles on it. I called ZOOT and was treated like a leper. I like reading reviews and research on products and have always come across Newton as something to look into. So I did. I called Newton and spoke to the marketing directer Tory Oakland for about twenty minutes on what the shoe would do and how I would benefit. I posed several questions and she had the answers. I returned the ZOOTS and ordered the Newton Distance racer. I knew what to expect when I out them on and followed the rules that applied about "breaking into" the shoe.

My first run was a 3 mile jog. Felt good. My second run was the same one, nothing different. Then I decided my next run would be a little faster. Not race pace but quick. I liked how they felt. As light as my ZOOTS. more cushion.

Yesterday I decided to got out for a 40-45 minute run in the Newton's. I was thinking of an easy cruise in the warm sun that finally blessed Massachusetts. What did was something I never did before. I was planning on a 5.3 mile run. I hit my turn around at 17:41. I was bit hesitant to continue at the same pace because of the myth that Newtons cause calf problems. What I did do was think of when I was going to hit the "sweet spot" that had been reported for this shoe. Well I hit it all right. I had a negative split of 16:10. The thing was, I didn't feel the shoes at all. I cruised in without any issues. I am going to keep monitoring the shoes. I have only run for 5 times on them. I will be charting my miles, HR and time with pace for the next two weeks.
I will be in touch.

2 comments:

Diver said...

Kevin:
What do you find is the best way to choose a shoe??

Kevin Reen said...

The best way to get started is determining foot type. Any good running store can help you with that. but if you look at you shoes and see where the wear pattern is you can detrmine what you need. I wear the mid-foot on the pinkie side of my foot. I supinate. I am a nuetral shoe. If you wear to the inside towards then you may need more suport. Most importantly comfort is key. I also believe that less is more. you don't need a huge pillow on you feet.