Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Pow Wow Traithlon

I just gotback from a trip to Ct. where we vistited the family this vacation. Sorry for the delay in the race report.

July 11th Powow triahlon. 9th overall and 2nd age group.

I must say that I was pretty happy with my performance on Sat. The swim at Lake Gardner is always tough. I don't know why Ihave trouble with it but I do. I took off in the first wave. There was no Elite or Pro wave which put most of them in with me. Guys like Dean Philips and Janda Ricci-Munn leading the charge make things daunting. I realized that they were in a class by themselves. After a pretty un eventful swim I exited the water and found my bike. Got rolling but noticed my wheels sticking. After about 1:45 seconds I figured out the problem and moved on. I was pissed that I wasted so much time in transition.

Out on the bike I just hammered. I knew I was not going to come close to catching the leaders but I wanted to get as much ground back as possible. About 4 guys passed me in transition b/c of my bike mess up and I soon caught them and moved on. I was holding a good pace and next thing I knew the bike was over. I was looking forward to the run b/c I had my new newton's and was ready to race in them. I made more headway on the run. At the 1 mile mark I saw Dean coming at me and shortly after Janda. There was another racer just ahead of me who I knew I couldn't cathc but wouldn't let pull away either. I was happy with my pace and the shoes were good. I didn't notice my usual pain in the knee or hip. I was cruising along. I finished in 1:06. Despite the slowest T1 in my career I knocked off 3 minutes on a Sprint. I will take that anyday. It could have been 4:30 if I checked my bike!!!!!!

No comments: