Friday, August 27, 2010

Days of Summer

Last night we had the last triathlon at Nahant Beach. It is always bittersweet b/c everyone is talking about there last race or what they plan doing over the winter and taking time off from racing or training and so on. I had a great year at Nahant this year. I raced in 5 of them and won all 5 setting one of the fastest course times in 30 years.

My body is telling me right now to take a break and get ready to watch college football on Saturday afternoon instead of an 8 mile run or hour bike ride. I know that will help me recover more than I could ever imagine but now is the time where I have to focus on my mind game and prepare myself for the 70.3 coming up. I know I am more than physically capable to race and race well there but b/c of all the little tweaks and cramps the doubt creeps up from behind to scare you.

A good friend and coach and athlete had helped achieve some physical gain by advising me on how to taper these last few days. She is very scientific and the proof is in the numbers. I had a successful long brick the other day and last night I had a win in Nahant with a little bit of a cramp at the end of run. The good thing is that today I was not as tight as I thought I would be. I have one more significant run left and then some short high intensity rides with some good swim workouts tossed in. I will be going into this race at a good weight with a good game plan and the mental game in check.

The long days of summer are winding down, so is my training schedule all getting ready for the final test.

1 comment:

April Bowling said...

You're totally right...it's all coming together perfectly so you can let go of the doubts. You are going to kick some major A$$ in RI...