Thursday, March 4, 2010

In like a Lion

March definitely came in like a lion. H2O heater needed to be replaced, Car got dinged, best friend gave us good and bad news so that off set itself. Also the person who never gets effected by illness was knocked down the last 24 hours. I picked up the slack and the boys were pretty good, giving Mom the bedroom to catch up on her sleep.

Monday I was on the trainer and got a good 1:30 on the bike. I hit 4x5 at 95% and then steady ride at about 65%. The power tap is beginning to help me stay balanced while I ride. I don't find myself all over the map. I am able to focus on a particular # and maintain it. It also reminds me to finish my sets. It is as if someone else is watching you and you don't want to let them down.

Tuesday I got in the pool and swam 3300. It was a good set. I varied that intervals and have been working on getting long on my stroke when I get tired. I think that I have been doing pretty good at that. I now want to start working on some speed. By the end of the month I would like to have my 100's down to 1:15. Right now I am coming in on 1:17. I know that it is early but this is the time to make progress. After the swim I was able to go and do some light weight work.

Yesterday was an unscheduled say off. Had to hold down the fort. Probably not a bad idea b/c my legs felt like lead.

Today I am off to the pool this morning and then an easy ride for 60 min. I am planing on 3600 in the pool. It is typical March, flurries and cold early in the month but I am optimistic that in 3 weeks we will have some better weather and will be outside more often. It takes a physical toll on me too b/c going into the month I feel like a lion because all winter there is weights and cross fit and sluggish training that kind of brings out the aggression of a lion by the end I hope to have dropped 2-3 pounds and develop the triathlon mentality. Winters in New England can be tough and though it is not over yet there is a light at the end of tunnel.

Another thing that I am looking forward too is the ride for jules. It is a 3 hour spinathon that a friend of mine has been running. This is the 6th year. It is also a reminder that the spring season is upon us. I am not wishing the days away but honestly I am tired of scarfs and winter hats, I am ready for flip flops and sunscreen. On that note it is time to go swim.

No comments: