Thursday, June 5, 2008

OUCH!

Today in Boston it is 63 and misty. Sunday in Bristol NH it is going to be 93, hazy hot and humid. If this wasn't New England than I would be scared. Wait I am, the MOOSEMAN is going to be one of the biggest tests for me yet. I have done 1/2 Ironman in the past and can say that I have done well. I reached the podium in all three of them. But this one is going to be different. This one will require the utmost discipline b/c of the heat and humidity. For me to try and hold back and "pace" the day is going to be a challenge in itself. This is also the first time I will not race as a Clydesdale. I am currently 193.6 pounds. Down 14 form the last tri I did on '07. That is a significant drop. I hope that it works in my favor, especially with the heat coming.

Today has already been a bust. I went to BU masters this AM up at 4:55 out the door at 5:20. in the pool at 5:55. I swam my 500 yard WU to get tapped on the head and told the pool has to be closed b/c of chlorine issues. (I thought who cares, I won't tell anyone if you don't!) So out of the pool and now I trying to put together clothes to get some type of workout in . Well, I went up to the gym in the PD and banged out a 35 min workout. I got a sweat but it wasn't what I wanted. Also the Nahant Tri tonight, that ain't gonna happen b/c my wife has to work late b/c of a fire drill at work. Maybe I don;t need the open water swim. I will try to sneak into the lake on Sat afternoon when I pick up my race packet just to remember how to put on my wetsuit.

I understand the difference between IRONMAN race pace and 1/2 IRONMAN race pace. I know I have put in the miles and weights and the training. I just hope my nutrition plan will hold my body for what I going to ask it to do. My hip has been getting tight again so maybe the heat will help loosen it up? Maybe? I just need to remember that there is always someone bigger, faster and stronger. Why freak out over it. I will go home tonight and play with Jack, have dinner with my wife. Jump on the trainer and ride for an easy 45 min. Make sure the bike is ready to go for race day. Have a couple of beers and watch the 1st quarter of the Celtics.

Hopefully the pool will be open tomorrow and I can log few more yards before game day.

1 comment:

Cait Reen said...

Kev,
Good luck today @ Mooseman!! Can't wait to hear all about it!